French Onion Soup
- 5 large onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 20g (ish) of butter
- 2 glasses of red wine
- Chicken or beef stock – roughly 2 pints
- Salt and pepper
- A french stick or if like me in this picture, some slices of bread lightly toasted
- Strong cheese, grated. Here I have used cheddar.
- Peel and thinly slice the onions and garlic. Melt the butter in a large pan and fry off the onions until they are starting to go brown. This usually takes between 15-20 minutes.
- Add in the red wine and stock and bring the pan to the boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the grated cheese to your bread/toast and melt the cheese under the grill
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and add the toasts
- Serve at the table directly from the pan. Or put the soup in bowls and add the toasts on top
This is easy to make and tastes delicious. The first time I made it I added a slug of brandy, but think I added a little too much so I opted to leave it out the second time.