- 1kg small onions or shallots, peeled
- 25g salt
- Roughly a pint of pickling or malt vinegar
- Chilli flakes
- 200g sugar
- Star anise (optional)
- After you have stopped crying after peeling all those onions, (or use those onion glasses – a gimmicky gift I really love, thanks Jayne!) put them in a large bowl and mix in the salt. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave overnight.
- With fresh eyes, rinse the onions well and allow the excess liquid to drain. Sterlise jam jars and then pack the onions into each jar.
- Take the vinegar, chilli flakes, star anise and sugar and slowly bring to the boil in a pan over a low heat. Stir occasionally to make sure that the sugar has dissolved.
- Allow the mixture to cool and then pour into the jars, seal with the lids and store in a cool, dark cupboard for about two weeks.